This is the correct way to sand your floorsfor a long lasting beautiful floor.
1. Rough sand exsisting flooring using 40 grit sandpaper on large sander. If floor is very rough, thin or cupped, an additional sanding at a 45 degree angle is done to remove gouges, dents, or flatten cupping. We also sand a new floor at a 45 degree angle to flatten it. This step is to remove stain & finish.
2. Edging with an edger around the perimeter of the room using a 60 grit sandpaper and anywhere else the big sander can't get to.
3. Vacuum entire floor (removing dust and grit)
4. Fill cracks, nail holes and any other defects in the floor. Let dry before next step.
5.Medium sand floor with 60 grit sandpaper on big sander. This step is done to remove scratches from the 40 grit sanding and any excess filler.
6. Edging the perimeter of the room using 120 grit sandpaper and any other places large sander can't get to.
7. Hand scrape corners of the room, door casings, around fireplaces and nosings. Any where the edging cant be done is hand scraped.
8. Vacuume entire floor.
9. Fine sand using 120 grit sandpaper with the large sander. This is done to remove scratches from the 60 grit and prepare the floor for staining and finishing.
10. Hand sand perimeter of rooms or screen floor with buffer. This is to get out scratches and prepare for stain and or finishing.
11. Vacuume entire floor to remove dust and grit. Be very thourough about this.
12. If the customer has chosen a stain color for the floor, the floor will be stained now. If the customer chose to stay natural we will then apply the first coat of finish. Let dry before next step.
13. Vacuume entire floor.
14. For stained floor apply 1st coat of finish. For not stained apply 2nd coat of finish. Let dry.
15. Vacuume entire floor.
16. On stained floor apply second coat of finish.
17. Hand putty any cracks or nail holes. This is because during the sanding and vacuuming process, you will loose some filler, especially with older floors.
18. Use the buffer to screen the second coat of finish. This smoothes out the finish. The second coats tends to feel rough after drying.
20. Apply final coat of finish.
* If top nailed floor is being refinished, there are 2 extra steps to be done. Setting all nails and extra filling.
* When using Swedish finish you would stain and 2 coats of finish. If no stain the 3 coats of finish. You will need to be out of house overnight as Swedish is very toxic.
* Diamondlac Waterborne finish is always 3 coats no matter what. .